Friday, October 19, 2007

My Brush With Celebrity!

Ok, so last night was an event at Macy's NorthPark that I attended with JD. It was a fashion show and advice on plus size fashion with Clinton Kelly from What Not To Wear. I love that show and as soon as I got the postcard in the mail I called in my RSVP.

Anyway, Clinton came out and talked, pulled a few girls on stage for virtual 360 degree mirrors with him and then he narrated the fashion show. I have to say he is very much the same in person as on the show. He's very funny and both JD and I had a super time!

He provided a lot of really good advice and information. One of the things I liked the most was when he said never compare yourself to an image on a billboard or in a magazine because these people do not exist. He said it would be like comparing yourself to a tree stump or an inanimate object because these people don't really look like that and everything is photoshopped. I knew this already, but it was still nice to hear.

After the show there was a book signing and if you spent $100 the book was free and he signed. I have been wanting a great trench coat for a while and ended up buying 2 of the trench coats that were featured in the fashion show. One is bright green and the other is leopard print. They are both different in style and super cute! Following Clinton's advice to everyone, before I wear them they will both be going to the tailor for a little nip/tuck here and there.

So, I waited in line for a few minutes for the book signing and when I got up to the table with my book the first thing out of his mouth was: "That shirt is a great color for you!" I wore my favorite new pop your eyes out royal blue silk shirt. The prettiest and biggest pain in the ass shirt I own (it's very particular and I have nearly ruined it several times, the shirt and I have a "relationship" with the dry cleaner). Anyway I said thanks and told him I bought the green trench from the fashion show too. His eyes got big and he says "Oh yeah, that will be great on you too!" Anyway, we chatted for a couple of minutes and I can definitely say he's a super nice guy! He signed my book and JD took this picture with her phone.
It's a little blurry (I can't believe I didn't think to bring the camera!) that's me with Clinton Kelly! Yeah!

If you ever get a chance for a meet and greet with him, definitely do it!

3 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooo lucky! How do you find out about cool stuff like this?

You're always so much more fashionable than I am. I feel like little Ms Dowdy-FuddyDuddy next to you sometimes. ;)

I have a friend who is curious about where you find your patterns. She's having problems with her chest, mostly. I'm not sure if she's my size all over or if she's just chesty, though. I told her you've made some excellent shirts and she's very interested. :)

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Thanks - it was fun! Actually I have a Macy's credit card and they send out postcards for special events. If anything else cool comes up I will call you and see if you want to go. :)

I did go to the Art Institute and studied fashion, so the interest has always been there. :)

I just get my patterns at fabric stores like Joann or Hancock or whatever. I am very picky about the details of the patterns and I have learned through trial and error what patterns/details will work for me. Most patterns have several sizes cutting lines on the pattern and you can cut bigger on the chest and smaller down the waist sections or whatever. Sometimes if the top is cut on the fold and is simple in design, like with no collar, etc. I will place the pattern piece a little out from the fold to give myself an extra inch or so.

If she wants to talk to me more, just have her email me or you can give her my phone number. If she's close I would be happy to go with her and look at patterns - I'm always up for that!

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Also, the fabric chosen is very important. I try hard to pick fabrics I love, but also that I know will work the best with the pattern.

Sometimes I really want a certain print, but it's too big for a pattern with lots of pieces, so I use it for something simple with few pieces so it really focuses on the fabric pattern and not so much on the construction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home