Saturday, October 13, 2007

First Finished Sweater

This is my first ever finished sweater.

Perfect Sweater from Mason Dixon Knitting - Seed Stitch neckline, cuffs and hem
KnitPicks Panache in Mulled Wine
KnitPicks Options circulars in sizes 5 and 6

This yarn is very soft. It is considered a bulky yarn, but I used the needle sizes suggested for a worsted yarn and it worked out perfectly.

I can't believe this is my first finished sweater ever. I have more in the works for sure because I am always so cold. I am very happy with the finished sweater. I have been working on it sporadically since last fall. Unfortunately it is a gift and will be going to J's mom tonight. I really hope she loves it. She is allergic to alpaca, but really loved the feel of that fiber, so we decided on an alpaca blend that hopefully she's not so sensitive to. She plans to wear a long sleeved shirt under it at all times anyway. I have a sweater for me that is halfway done, but after that my next sweater will definitely be a top down raglan because all the seaming was a total drag.

One thing about this yarn that I didn't expect was how heavy the sweater would be. It's very heavy.

6 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger Kenny said...

I'm working on a bottom up raglan pullover sweater for the same reason - to avoid all that seaming.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Yep, I hated the seaming. I just want to do top down so I can try it on as I go to make sure the shoulders fit right and the neckline looks right.

I have an idea in mind for J that will be the ubergeek sweater of all time. It will take a really long time though because I want to make it out of sport weight or figering weight yarn. He's too hot and would not really wear a worsted weight sweater.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Cynthia said...

duh, make that fingering weight yarn...

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Kenny said...

Looking back, I should have done a top down. I'm also working on a zip-up sweater that I'm planning on using for work - we keep it really cold in our computer labs - and I'm going to put more than a few pockets on it. Pockets are cool.

 
At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this sweater. The color is beautiful and I bet it feels soft. I love alpaca so much. I've heard it gets VERY warm to wear it. What sort of blend is it?

By the way... Kenny, Cynthia... Cynthia, Kenny. ;) I love when knitting brings my friends together.

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Wow, I just looked on KnitPicks to find out what the blend of this yarn was and it looks like they don't carry it anymore. Too bad, it was nice. I am not positive, but I think it was an Alpaca/Cashmere/Silk blend.

I love alpaca. It is warm, but I'm always cold, so for me the warmer the better.

Yep, I didn't know Kenny was a knitter until the other day when he replied to one of my posts. Very cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home