Sunday, March 04, 2007

Kool Aid Dyeing Spectacular (now with 100% more photos)

This is a pictorial of how I dyed a whole bunch of yarn with Kool Aid. Enjoy!

First, I wound 3 skeins of Fisherman's Wool into huge 400+ yard hanks using my handy-dandy swift.

Next I soaked my yarn for 30 minutes - it totally looks like spaghetti huh? (I love Mason-Dixon Knitting - you can see my ballband dishcloths on the left!)

Next, I covered my dining table with a garbage bag and cling wrap and jumped into the dying. I wanted a variegated yarn, so I used the turkey baster paint on method. It was messy.

Next is the yarn with all the dyeing done. I used all the colors on two sections as a nice speckley break in the solid colors.

Yep, I know I was supposed to wear gloves, but I didn't - because I didn't I had pruney kool aidey fingers to deal with. Please wear gloves!
Next, I wrapped the dyed yarn all up in cling wrap and put it in glass dishes and microwaved it for a few minutes until there was steam build-up inside the dish, then I let it set to cool. I let it cool for about 30 minutes.

Next, I pulled off all the cling wrap and put all the yarn in luke warm water to rest. I left it there about 30 minutes or so. Now it totally looks like colored spaghetti!

Next I hung it in the shower to drip dry and then moved it to a ceiling fan for the final dry.

Ok, finally, here are the 3 finished 400+ yard hanks. I am happy with the finished product and the happy springy colors.

Last, but certainly not least, here is the finished product. A nice hand dyed center pull yarn ball.

This was a very fun, very messy project. I will definitely be doing more Kool Aid dyeing! If you want any more info please don't hesitate to comment or email me.

6 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you come across such a technique? It looks like it turned out grand though or as the the Brit's would say Brilliant!

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Oh, lots of knitters dye yarn this way. Colors are bright and permanent. I am pretty happy with it!

Thanks!

Maybe we ccan dye your apron soon... ;)

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Golly--that looks so springtime-y! I bought a bunch of kool-aid, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. My dh wants to make it *into* kool-aid, which is problematic :)

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would love to know the colors you used! Umm... I mean flavors!

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

He he - must - not - drink - dye!! ;)

I used blue raspberry, orange, pink lemonade and a pale green that is cloudy looking, it was the only green I could find besides lemon-lime. Can't remember the exact flavor name though.

All those colors/flavors together on wet wool wasn't very pleasant smelling.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Ok, got the exact color/flavor names - orange, pink lemonade, arctic green apple and ice blue raspberry lemonade.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home