Thursday, March 01, 2007

Kool Aid Dyeing

For those of you thinking of doing some Kool Aid yarn dyeing, I have a few pointers...

1. Make sure you have ALL DAY - it is not a good project for starting at 9 pm when it takes until 2 am to finish and you have to be at work at 8:30 am.

2. Make sure to have more packets than you think you will need. J had to go to the store for me about 11 pm to get more.

3. Small quantities of yarn would be easier. Please don't make the first attempt 3 huge hanks of worsted weight wool totalling 1300 yards.

Pictures and more details will follow. That is all.

4 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh. I want to do this so badly (have a mess of wool waiting for the project), but there's no way I'll have time any time soon. I meant to do it before the move but never got around to it. I also want to try using cake dyes (I have a ton of colors).

Some day...

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Yep, it makes a big mess - when I do it next I definitely will be using smaller quantities and the jar/microwave method rather than the turkey baster paint on method.

It turned out pretty well though, really springy and easter eggy. :)

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Kool Aide dying because it is soooooo fast. I have not done the amount of yarn you tried though, Cynthia. I used roving. Be sure to add vinegar (white) to your mixture. It really makes the dye grab fast. Melanie on PinkLemonTwist.blogspot has commented about some colors that are not fast. You don't want to go to all that work to have them fade. :)
Miss Trixie is adorable!!
Georgina
(designer of Solace Stole)

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Yep, I got pictures of the whole process. I didn't use any vinegar this time because my colors are pretty light, but I probably will next time. I figured since my yarn isn't superwash, with hand washing it should be ok.

I love Melanie's blog - I have it on my favorites list!

Thanks for the compliments on Trixie - she is super cute, friendly and fluffy, she loves everyone!

Your pattern is beautiful and I am anxious to get to work on it! Yeha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home